Wednesday, May 19, 2004

For gods' sake! [by Laura]

I was thinking about escapism today, and the various forms it manifests in. Personally, I spend a lot of time inside the world in my head, but I figure most people do. Where else would the unshakable optimism of the human race come from; the people who say "it'll turn out all right in the end" and actually believe that? Even if you're not one of these people, you still believe in abstract ideas such as justice and mercy, in hope, even. The truth is that bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people. Occasionally, good things happen to all kinds of people, whether they deserve it or not. In fact, shit happens.

People who are religious, might disagree with the above statement, and I won’t claim that they're wrong. I tend to create imaginary things around myself; compare the office block I work in to the Mount Doom in 'Lord of the Rings', for example, or have firm belief that if you walk to an opposing wind long enough, you will eventually push through to another dimension. Instead of the popular belief - 'God Created Man' - I believe in 'Man Created God'. I believe in mankind's need to believe in things; it's a comfort on dark, cold nights and allows you to have a Plexiglas of faith between yourself and the world.

Suppose you don't have to believe in justice and mercy and hope if you believe in God; after all, he encompasses all these things in a handy All-In-One package. At any rate, the effect is the same: there's something there for you to take the sting out of the world.

I don't have much faith; in God, in gods, or in other things. I hope like hell there's Justice, and that the people who are busy killing, murdering, torturing and raping will get what they deserve. I hope this is true no matter which church or mosque they go to. I hope there's a suitable end for people who sue fast food chains for making them obese, cigarette companies for giving them cancer and doctors for not prescribing penicillin. I especially hope that hypocrites who claim to follow the benevolent one and true and only god but are busy discriminating against different sex, sexuality, colour or religion will one day meet their god. And find that he's displeased.

In fact, I don't think you need a big, bearded man in the sky (or a foxy blue guy in a luscious garden, for that matter) in order to live a good life. I'm far from perfect, but I try live by a simple set of ideals. Whether I have a life after death or not I'm leaving up to providence.

The Ten Four Commandments Ideals of Atheist Agnostic A Pretty Average Person

1) Don't hurt people, animals, nature or tourists
2) Know when to stop
3) Show respect
4) Say thank you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home