Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Biding my time [by Laura]

I finally came to an actual decision about my future plans. They now include saving a lot of money during the winter, taking some extra courses, and going to university next year.

I'm actually really looking forward to being a student again, in spite of the fact I'll be penniless after years of being able to pay for my own living, and will probably have to share a flat with a 16-year old who's moved out of home for the first time in her life.

I'll not have to sit in an office doing the same monkey-job for eight hours a day anymore. No more customer service, no more having to make excuses for other people's incompetence. In fact, I will be free to do whatever I want with my hair again, including all shades of the rainbow and an undercut, if the fancy takes me that way. I won't have to subconsciously worry whether my bag or shoes are too childish, because, hell, students are supposed to be a little weird.

No more managers, conference calls, invoice disputes or pissy customers. I dare say that this time ‘round, I'll have a whole another outlook on studying, because, unlike the last time when I was the fresh-out-of-home sixteen year old, I actually now know what's out there. Having worked a job I loathe for four years suddenly puts the whole thing into a new perspective.

It's always worrying to leave steady income and familiar things, but then again, not everyone's able to start afresh.

All I have to do, now, is get through another nine or ten months of gruelling boredom and, of course, the bureaucratic nightmare of choosing and applying to universities. I think I'll apply to at least two or three different countries just to make sure I have half a chance of getting accepted somewhere.

How's your day in the office?

* * *

Although otherwise common as muck, Laura claims the title of the Queen of Procrastination. She's also an expatriate Finn who spends most of the time inside her own head - out of which the words overflow on their own accord. Any resemblance to coherence is therefore purely coincidental.

1 Comments:

Blogger L said...

Next year (with any luck), I'll be bitching about stupid assignments, being broke and in debt, having to take a McJob for the weekends, and about flatmates from hell. LOL...

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home