Sunday, June 06, 2004

Live a little [by Laura]

I'm teetering at a brink of a big white scary something. I know there's a change underway, one of those big fat ones that change your life around from inside out. I'm increasingly aware of it as time goes by; it's almost like watching a continent move - you're not sure it moves at all, but when you look back in a few million years, it's suddenly all different.

Suddenly I'm tired of analysing everything to death.

My priorities are changing.

I'm still frustrated with my life and my job, but there's a shade of a difference; instead of falling into despair and utter hopelessness, I'm realising that I can't see beyond the choices I make daily at work. I've been so caught up in the emotion that I haven't noticed how I've been making my problems bigger and meaner than they are in reality.

I tend to preach to others of the power of letting go, but am myself afraid of doing just that. Fear of failure as well as stupidly holding on to pride has been my downfall so far. It's time for me to learn something about humility, and as my perspectives are sliding into a whole new angle, it doesn't seem like such a horrible deal.

A friend of mine quoted a French saying to me recently; she said that you have to hit the bottom first so that you can push with your feet to get back to the surface. I've hit that bottom now and it's pretty solid under my feet: I'm ready to move with a purpose.

I have, in the simplest of terms, had enough.

There are plans to be drawn, arms to take, worlds to conquer. It's also come the time to enjoy the summer and do myself a favour or two: take time to sit in the sun; sleep with my window open; eat strawberries with ice cream; laugh for no particular reason; invite friends over for pancakes. Most importantly, it's time to take care of myself and to live a little.

What's the worst that could happen?

* * *

Although otherwise common as muck, Laura claims the title of the Queen of Procrastination. She's also an expatriate Finn who spends most of the time inside her own head - out of which the words overflow on their own accord. Any resemblance to coherence is therefore purely coincidental.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home