Monday, June 21, 2004

A letter from a friend [by Ian]

"We were driving to the beach yesterday ( sunday ) , I had a terrible hangover, L was suffering a gall-bladder attack, I was pissed off because I had smashed the side of the car the day before, a road was cut off so we had to take the motorway past the airport, there was a huge traffic backlog towards the sea and I was gagging for a beer and some food. D was crying in the back seat and the world seemed a pretty horrible place.

It was then, just as I felt really sorry for myself, that an ambulance and two police motorbikes sped past and L and I looked at each other in a quite ashamed way as we had been griping and moaning about our bad day. By time we reached the site of the accident it became apparent that things were grim. Several motorbikes and a van were involved and i saw at least one person who hadn´t survived.

I cried quietly beneath my sunglasses as L distracted E to look through the other side window.

When I reached the sea and greeted my friends I spent a few minutes with my can of Amstel in hand remembering that age old wisdom - someone somewhere is always having a worse day than you.

Is that sad, or reassuring? I don´t know, I suppose it depends on the space you are in when you think about it. But it is , for sure, an eternal and universal truth."

* * *


Ian is of a certain age when dealing with ear-hair can seem too much of a priority. He would secretly like to wear a cardigan and slippers. He thinks writing is the new black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home